Sunday 29 March 2009

I whine, You whine, Everybody whines

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/30/beauty-pageant-women

First, read this link.

When I originally read the title, I felt elated; finally someone who agreed with me that mysogyny is still rife in almost all forms of media, finally a discussion where someone else complains that they're tired of hearing gag after gag insulting women on baseless stereotypes for cheap laughs.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed when I found out Ms Gold was actually referring to Beauty Pageants. I wasn't even aware that these are ironic, to be honest. Not only that I was under the impression that they are voluntary and not actually that widely publicised. In fact, I can't seem to recall ever in living memory knowing when the Miss Great Britain competition was held.

I can't help but wonder why Tanya gives a damn why a collection of beanpole girls want to strut up and down a stage in front of an ugly and insulting man. No one's asking her to take her clothes off (thank God) and while I'm sure her answers to the pageant questions would ultimately be more inciteful and grammatically correct, her being not-terribly-attractive and weighing twice as much as the other contestants might rather stand in the way of her prevailing in a beauty pageant.

Maybe this all sounds a little cruel but I just don't really understand what part it is about this antiquated ritual that bothers her enough to write a column about it. It's tabloid fluff, like Big Brother, like Posh and Becks, like celebrity pregnancies. The only people who care about who wins are the women as stupid as those competing. Let's be honest, if these girls are having a hard time speaking their "brians" and they're happy miserably counting calories and starving themselves then I figure a beauty pageant is the best place for them.

Firstly; it gives our footballers someone to invite to the FIFA Christmas party.
Secondly; we know where they all are so we can avoid their retarded antics.
Thirdly; if we ever get sick of the whole affair we know when and where to drop the napalm.

I hate to say it, but I think this article is just proof again that women's worst enemies are themselves. It's not okay according to Tanya Gold to be just judged for your beauty, even if it's the only thing you've got going for you, no, you have to be judged on your intellect instead because that's an altogether fairer system. It's easy to see why Tanya would prefer the smarts test over the looks test, though currently I'd say her chances aren't looking good in either category.

No comments: