Friday 19 September 2008

When Genius Becomes Madness

Not at all impressed with this new "Genius" function on iTunes. After waiting about 20 minutes for it to set itself up, I gave it a trial run by playing a few songs on my playlist. Not only does it not update when my playlist moves from song to song, but when the Backstreet Boys came on (yes, I am a 24 year old woman who still frequently plays BSB AND knows all the words to 'Everybody' – get over it) iTunes had the bizarre notion to suggest... O Town.

Now, some of you will remember a reality TV show from the early days of reality TV called Making the Band. Think of it as the American version of Pop Band – the show that predated Pop Idol, and The X Factor. If you remember all this then hopefully you'll also remember one of the most God awful pieces of hilarity that ever hit the Top 10, which was a song named "Liquid Dreams", which was, unfortunately, exactly as bad in content as it sounds.

Let me give you an excerpt.

Now this hot girl, she's not your average girl
She's a morpharotic dream from a magazine
And she's so fine designed to blow your mind
She's a dominatrix supermodel beauty queen

I dream about a girl who's a mix of Destiny's Child
Just a little touch Madonna's wild style
With Janet Jackson's smile, throw in a body like Jennifers'
You've got the star of my liquid dream

Let's skip the fact that this song is pretty insulting to the average woman who, let's face it, doesn't like being broken down into a selection of body parts donated by various models, actresses and TV personalities, and go straight to the really gross part, which is the fact that this is a song about WET DREAMS. Someone please explain to me WHO thought that writing this was a good idea? Firstly, songs that talk about sex in anything other than extremely vague euphemisms are always tasteless and not at all provocative, a good example of this being "Insatiable" by Darren Hayes, which was actually quite good owing to being as non-specific as possible. Songs like "I Want to Sex You Up" and that decidedly bizarre "I want to fuck you like an animal" song by Nine Inch Nails are just tasteless and vulgar.

Anyway, I digress. Songs about wet dreams are gross. The band last about 2 years in which they had about 3 hit singles. They were all ugly and didn't dance that well.

Genius? Bollocks, I say.

1 comment:

Carly-Woo said...

I got woken up by my flatmate playing 'I want to fuck you like an animal' at 3am when I was in halls. It was a particularly terrifying experience